At St Bernadette Catholic Primary School we offer excellence and enjoyment in learning and teaching, a place where each child matters, making a positive contribution in the service of others. We promote an inclusive curriculum, delivered by a caring, highly skilled, and professional staff.
We encourage the full potential of every person by providing a unique and sacred learning environment witnessing to the person of Christ at the centre of every aspect of school life. We seek to build positive relationships with parents and others we work with, to provide a service to society preparing children as good citizens.
We aim to foster a love of learning in our children and to allow every child to work to the best of their ability. We strive for excellence in all we do. We are a school and church community, a family, promoting core Gospel values of compassion, respect for self and others, responsibility and honesty. We share a vision for each child to be cherished and have the best opportunities for an excellent education through a creative inspiring and inclusive curriculum.Special Educational Needs and Disability, as with all areas at St. Bernadette School, is taught in line with our mission statement
“Learning to Grow in Knowledge, Faith and Love through Friendship with Jesus and Mary”.
In keeping with the latest changes to Special Educational Needs, each school is required to publish its local offer (i.e. the variety of systems and interventions that the school has in place), so as to provide a first quality education for children with special educational needs and disabilities.
Our "local offer" here at St Bernadette can be found in the attachments below.
Hertfordshire has a local authority offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEND. This can be accessed by the following links Hertfordshire's Local Offer - SEND
Please see below for links to DSPL7 latest courses.
Useful SEND information for parents / carers
- DSPL7 - Support for families and professionals for services and support in the St Albans area.
- Autism Education Trust - toolkits for supporting pupils with autism and standards.
- National Autistic Society - supporting autism friendly schools.
- ADD-vance - support for autism / ADHD
- I CAN - to support speech and language needs
- Windermere School ISL Resource Centre - to support dyslexia, dyscalculia etc.
- Partners in Education - for resources and SpLD accredited courses.
- Makaton - For Makaton signs. See also Cbeebies Something Special and Mr Tumble
- ERIC - Children’s bowel and bladder charity.
- Dyspraxia Foundation - Dyspraxia support.
- Links Academy - for behaviour support.
- Hertfordshire's Local Offer - SEND - Herts grid local offer
- The Collett School - The Collett Special school for advice
- SENDirect Impartial information, advice and support service - IASS - for parents of children with special educational needs (SEN), and children & young people with SEN, via telephone, email and in person.
- Example of support from one of the services for parents & carers
“Here at ADD-vance we are passionate about supporting families. This is because we all live in a family with members affected by ADHD, Autism or a related condition. In our opinion, nobody understands living with additional needs more than the parents who have walked the walk, not just talked the talk. Which is why all our trainers, coaches and most of our admin staff are parents or carers of children or young people with ADHD, Autism or a related condition. We know that sometimes we all just need a helping hand, whether that be a simple chat to another parent in the same position or something a bit more structured, like a few sessions with a professional and understanding coach. We offer a range of services throughout Hertfordshire aimed at helping parents and carers to understand and support these complex conditions.”
If you have any issues please regarding SEND, please contact Mrs Fitzgerald & Ms Hibbert in the office to arrange an appointment with SEND Co-ordinator, Ms Walsh.